View Single Post
      12-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #4
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Hithere, I guess I can comment here as the M2c is my first DCT experience for about the last 6 months. Have been MT always before then. Was an easy decision for me as I kept my manual 1M for a different experience.

The M2c is my daily. DCT is a great trans, but the auto mode gives me the f shits. I almost exclusively drive it in manual mode 2 and love it for it. The shifts are crisp and downshifts blip the throttle for some nice noise. In manual mode it will also downshift automatically should the revs drop sufficiently if you don't feel like downshifting yourself, but will bounce off the limiter if you want to in manual mode when accelerating. Manual mode 1 is f useless, smooth but slow as to inputs.

Took me a while to get used to the slowness of the gearbox when going from fwd to reverse and back again - it's almost like it needs a moment at standstill to engage. I'm learning something new about this trans all the time, but for me this is a negative.

Throttle mapping is aggressive in Sport +. I don't like it - not smooth at all for fast take-offs. I've disconnected the exhaust valves in the open position and drive pretty much in Sport only. Less obnoxious crackles and perfect throttle mapping. Sport + also activates the additional engine cooling for track work and so it's noticeably noisier and rough running for daily duties.

I mix between shifting with the paddles and the lever itself, both are fairly intuitive and comfortable to use.

I haven't tracked it yet, but auto mode might make more sense on a track or for drags if that's your sort of thing. I'm glad I chose the DCT, BUT if I didn't have the MT to fall back on in the 1M I would possibly regret it.

It's a rough decision. You really need extended drive time with each trans to decide.

Last edited by Piets94; 12-06-2019 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0