View Single Post
      10-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #84
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Anyone who knows anything about engine management systems will know that Throttle adaptation is used when replacing the throttle potentiometer and has nothing but a short term effect on throttle pedal calibration.
The ECU has some base calibration to fit all throttle pot installs, but it also has a self end travel calibration to make sure each individual install works as it should.

I'll explain that in more detail.

Imagine your throttle pedal has 45 degrees of movement. This is from rest position to buried into the carpet full throttle.
Mounted on this throttle pedal is a potentiometer that's job is to feed the throttle pedal angle to the ECU to represent power request from the driver.
Now, the throttle potentiometer is not a perfect 45 degree item. It's probably got a measurement angle of 90 degrees. Whatever it's range is, it's safe to say it's more than the pedal travel angle. For a reason.
Also, although it mounts in a particular way, the reading of both end positions are not going to be the same for every installation. They also engineer in so that there is float on either end of the pot to absolutely make sure that the pot is within its measurement range. In simple terms, the zero angle on the pedal will always be a positive angle on the pot.
So what we end up with in a new installation is a throttle pedal at zero degrees deflection, but the pot with a positive value. Let's say 15 degrees. If we deflect the pedal the full 45 degrees of mechanical movement, the pot will go from 15 degrees to (15+45) 60 degrees. So a pedal angle of 0-45 will equate to a pot angle of 15-60.
Now, the ECU is base programmed to have a smaller range than this to catch all install outcomes. Let's say it's default program is to work with 30-50 throttle pot range. But it is also taught to self calibrate.
So when the ECU is matched up with the throttle pot, it sees a low value of 15 already, not the 30 it was taught was the lower limit. It adjusts its adaptation to 15 for zero throttle pedal position. But as no one has operated the throttle pedal yet, it still thinks full throttle is 50 on the potentiometer.
The ECU scales zero-to-full automatically between the adaptation values.
So until someone presses the throttle pedal into the carpet, the ECU will always think that 50 is full throttle.
That's why adaptation feels like it does something. It has a shorter range (temporarily) giving more throttle per degree of pedal travel. But the second you apply full throttle? Yes it's back to how it should be, with an adaptation of 15-60 like the mechanical install dictates.

Conclusion: throttle adaptation is the epitome of fake news.
What you have written makes sense but from my own experience the throttle reset does something and doesn't 'instantly dissapear' when you press the throttle down

Unless you have some official oem bmw document that describes the function in the same way you've described it, logically, one can also assume that throttle adaptions are part of the ecu to tailor to the driving style of the driver. If you really wanna label it 'fake news', please back it up with official documentation.
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0