View Single Post
      03-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #48
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
For everyone freaking out over the comparison to the C6 Z06 time of 1:40.9, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) That test was in 2007, which is 9 years ago. Tire technology has come quite a ways in 9 years.

2) Pobst wasn't driving for MT back then; it was Max Angelelli. I'm not saying Angelelli is an inferior driver, but Pobst has waaaaaay more street car experience at Laguna Seca at this point, so I'd expect the combination of more advanced tires and street car experience at the circuit to result in some advantage.

3) If you read the driver notes from the 2007 C6 Z06 test at MotorTrend.com, you'll see that Angelelli had plenty of feedback on why the timing was off pace with the 997 GT3, which put down a 1:39.5 in the same test. Oh how times change! The current 991 GT3 RS laps LS in 1:33.29.

Quote:
ANGELELLI saved the Z06 for last because prior experience suggested it would be a handful. “This one is definitely the most difficult to drive, because of the low rear grip and high power.” He doubts tires are the only culprit. “The front seems soft and heavy, and the rear seems too stiff and very light. So when you go into all the corners, you have enormous oversteer. Off power, on power, on brake-everywhere.” Angelelli also felt the chassis could use more torsional rigidity. He praised the steering and the limited-slip differential, however, and reckoned he’d love to take a Z06 out hunting Ferraris on the Italian autostrada, but for a twisty road-he’ll choose the 911 or Exige.
It's fun to look back on the C5 and C6 to watch the Corvette become a serious contender, and the C6 Z07 is still a superlative car, without question, but in 2016 it's a nine year old car. The C7 Z07 runs a 1:33! Progress, ladies and gents. Progress.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2