08-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #76
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think both the M2C and F80 ZCP have plenty of power - I totally agree that neither car needs more on that end.

Coming from a 981 CS, I was frustrated out of the box with how the F80 drove on a daily basis. Take all the obvious differences out (size, mid-engine vs. front, weight, etc.) and my biggest gripe was with how the car hooked up with the road. There just didn't seem to be enough tire in the rear to handle all the oooomph.

I also wasn't a fan of the Super Sport tires that came on the car stock - so when I had worn those out, I moved to the 4S, and with a 295 rear width. This made a world of difference in how the car performed, and allowed that "savagery" to really come out. At that point, I didn't really look at any tunes either.

This is a long winded way of repeating that the newer Ms are severely under-tired. I wonder if the laggy feel or lack of savagery feedback on the M2C can really be traced to that. I never loved the F80, but I enjoyed it much more and appreciated what they were trying to do as soon as I swapped out the rear tires.

In terms of revving it out, my recollection is that the S55 does make peak power closer to the redline than say, the N55 in the OG M2. But it wasn't a car I really revved out all that much. Maybe because of the sound characteristics? I don't really know...by way of comparison, my 981 BGTS isn't nearly as fast as the F80, and is also probably quite a bit slower than the M2C. But I love revving it out, because of the howl and the other sounds that engine and exhaust make. Not sure if that distinction makes sense in terms of your question, but that's how I look at it.
Boone

Thank you for the excellent post and comments therein.

There is something so damn engaging and enjoyable about the NA6 in 981 variants. Acoustics are part of it, but the linear climb ALL THE WAY to redline is something that, once in your system, stays there indefinitely.

As enthralled as I am with the 981 GTS/GT4 options, I simply could not ignore the 2.5T performance. Specifically related to this topic, it offers that low-end torque everyone enjoys but, unlike most turbos (e.g., M2C) pulls nearly all the way to red line (peak power occurs near red line).

So, moving from the 718 CGTS into the M2C, what has frustrated me the most is the lack of pull to red line with the stock M2C tune. I have truly embraced the ‘whine’ and ‘spooling’ of turbo engines. . . I just want the pull and acoustics to peak at/closer to red line. Short of an aftermarket tune, I guess there is not much I can do to get back what BMW took out at the top of the power band.

You bring up some other great points. I do not perceive any turbo lag issues with the M2C, probably because I am always in Sport or Sport-Plus and rarely below 4K RPM? Also, I have little value for straight line, 0-60 pulls and I suspect most lag with any turbo is experienced off the line.

I do sense that the M2C is somewhat slower than the 718 CGTS but this, again, relates to my commitment to pulling Gs in the twisties where the M2C chassis simply cannot compete with the GTS chassis.

As to the ‘under-tired’ topic . . . I have no way of verifying, but from the moment I took delivery of the M2C I felt it needed PS4S tires. How much of a difference will it make over the stock PSS tires, I cannot state with any authority without direct comparison. I do, however, believe I am going to wear out the PSS treads pretty quickly and will replace with 255/275 PS4S setup (if available in those sizes?).

The question is, will I wear out the treads before I trade the F87 in for the G87 M2C? . . . I am sure as hell going to enjoy trying.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00