Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opplock1 View Post
I wasn't aware RE made tranny mounts for F8X vehicles

Also, does the RE shifter sit higher than stock? I'd imagine with the shorter throw, it wouldn't "stretch" out the boot as much?

Awesome review, visually the RE kit didn't appeal to me with their plastic pivot ball, but maybe their upsides make up for that.
I ordered the SSK and trans mounts direct from RE. Looking at the website they list the F8X series as compatible vehicles. Maybe they weren't available until recently? Whatever the case, they bolted right up without issue.

I didn't take a measurement for the stock shifter height although I should have. I guess it does sit higher since I didn't have any issue with the shift boot with the stock shifter but both the UUC (even on the lowest setting) and the RE SSK's put enough tension on my stock shift boot to pop it out in certain gears. I think I just had a really tight shift boot from the factory. I also forgot to mention that I am using an aftermarket shift knob that causes the top of the shift boot to sit slightly higher than stock due to the knob adapter, this is probably the cause of most of the shift boot issue. My custom shift boot is supposed to arrive any day now so at least I will have that fixed soon.

Thanks for the comment. I can understand those who would prefer the metal pivot point or the UUC in general. I figured most people never try either of these SSK's, let alone both of them. I just happen to like the RE SSK better and I still do now that I have had it for a while. Disregarding the whole feel of the shifting experience between the (2) SSK's, I notice that I don't miss or mess up the 1-2 upshift as much which was previously my only problem area when I was getting on the gas more.

Got myself the Ultimate Clutch Pedal for myself recently as well. Once I get that installed I think I will be in manual transmission heaven. I don't mind the stock pedal but it definitely sits too high.