02-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #212
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post
I think the confusion is because the original posts intention was to point out cars that were in a limbo.

So let me recap why I opened the thread.

There are certain cars, mine included, that were built in a specific time frame and ended up in a CarPlay limbo.

If I am correct its as follows:

MY2017 Model
Built in July 2016
iDrive 5.0 installed

The MY2016 models have iDrive 4 I believe so they won't have the new iDrive nor CarPlay unless some hardware gets updated (anyone feel free to correct me if wrong)

The MY2017 cars built AFTER August 1st have iDrive 5.0 and also can add CarPlay to their builds at purchase time. Pretty sure it can be added afterwards if you ordered without it and then decide to do so, based on BMW Canada allowing this to happen, hence why I opened this thread since Canada was doing it but BMW USA Genius keeps replying that there is no info on availability yet.

Now, after 5 months of ownership, I have not dreaded missing CarPlay, and after reading some users feedback about it I can live without it. Reason I wanted to at least try it out was because I had a car with it before but it was a touch screen radio so pretty sure the BMW not being touch screen wont be the same feel.

I do all my Spotify and Pandora thru BT or USB when charging, and the GPS on the BMW is good so I dont need MAPS or Google Maps from the phone.
This is (mostly) correct.

MY16 - ID4 so we're SOL unless hardware is upgraded

MY17 - July to September - ID5 installed but CarPlay was not enabled. Enabled for free if you paid for 6CP or can be added.

MY17 - October onwards - CarPlay enable from factory if you chose 6CP.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4185.00