08-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #39
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Yes, the recharge is not as quick as fill up of the gas. Though, by the time my kids unbuckle and use restroom/snack from each leg of the trip between superchargers, the car tells me it's fully charged and ready. I rarely had a situation where I waited for my car to finish charging. It is other way around. For those who complain: how many hours and $$$ you spend yearly at your lovely gas station?
I'm leaving home every day with full "tank"
And no longer spend 24 cumulative hours of my life at gas station
People need to realize that you go fill up not just on a trip, but every week when you commute as well. While ICE car wins time on trips, it loses huge on the commute or everyday use.
You never said how long your longest trip has been.

You aren't factoring getting to the Supercharger or planning the stop before you leave the house. I have done neither in any car, gas stations are everywhere. I do agree that if you don't leave your immediate area, have a fast charger at home and are willing and able to plug it in every night it is saves some time but then if only driving local I guess I spend less than 5 minutes a week at a gas station.

There is one Tesla Supercharger in Cincinnati I think at the Tesla dealership, hardly the place I want to stop for a half hour on a long trip and the chances of it being convenient or where you really want to stop are close to zero. If someone told me I needed to stop at the gas station in Cincinnati, there is only one, will have to drive to it, sit there for 30 minutes and after 30 minutes you can drive 170 miles (research shows people are only willing to go about 80% of charge so 140 miles), so in 2.5 hours repeat or full charge is 75 minutes (should be a good time at the dealership). I would find another car to take on a trip. Then if you aren't ready to stop you have to anyway as you won't make it to the next large city.

Still see this as the local car with another for travel outside of your area.

Also, your "Garage" lists a X6M? Seems like the opposite to the Tesla. What's the point in owning one of the worst mpg cars made (12 city/17 hwy) as far as the environment goes and then one of the best? My main draw to the Tesla would be the environment as it sure isn't to save money. You drive both and equal out to a pretty standard vehicle?