View Single Post
      11-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #87
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Question about the straight pipe you're holding up (that you capped the rectangular hole on)--

The M3/M4 has a very a similar system, except that the stock intakes are 90 degrees to the radiator. The straight pipe has the exact same uncovered rectangular area.

So, the question is: if BMW installed (more or less) these intakes on the M3/M4, why did they leave the hole there on the pipe?

This has been bothering me for a while-- when I had my M3/M4 intakes installed at Carbahn, they covered up the rectangular area just like you did-- but I don't know if that's the smartest idea or not-- BMW *had* to have a reason to leave them open, yeah? Could covering them induce air starvation at higher rpms? If not, wouldn't leaving them open sort of defeat the whole point of the snorkels?

Curious to hear your thoughts on this, as I've been toying with going in and reopening up the rectangular holes.

TIA--

R.
My guess for them not covering the hole is they wanted a blend of warm air from the engine bay along with the cooler fresh air for emissions perhaps. I highly doubt it was due to a potential restriction in airflow through the current nozzle.