05-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #51
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
The N55 internals are pretty good (N54 are better though). It's quite a stretch to say 375 hp is the ragged edge for N55 internals though. There are plenty of people running that much power (and more) for years and the internals have been holding up. It's the ancillaries of the N55 that need to be upgraded to run 375 hp reliably.

Where I expect the M2 motor to take advantage of the S55 is in cooling and pretensioning of turbos. Let's face it, that's where the N54/55 is weak, cooling.

I've said it before, where I'll be curious is if the M2 gets the air-to-water intercooler on the S55 or goes with a standard front-mount air intercooler.
OK, maybe the ragged edge is exaggeration, but there is a difference between a tuner car and a production car when it comes to long term reliability. How many 380HP N55s have 100,000 miles on them and how many will realistically make it to 200,000 miles which is what I would expect from a BMW. How many of them see track time and get flogged like more than a few M2s likely will?
Appreciate 0