View Single Post
      10-08-2020, 05:23 AM   #9
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
I suppose if you regularly switch between modes, the variation in throttle sensitivity can make it a bit annoying.

But the car is just as responsive and just as powerful in every different mode, provided your right foot provides the right amount of input. Sport+ "feels" more responsive but in reality, you can get just as much response out of the car by simply pressing harder on the throttle.

So rather than spending money to recalibrate my throttle, I've just allowed my brain to recalibrate by getting used to it. I see no disadvantage in performance at all.

Comfort and traction actually have a very linear throttle response. The other modes have a negative exponential response where almost everything happens in the first half of the pedal travel and the remainder does very little. I prefer the extra finesse available at part throttle but as always, YMMV.

If any of you have any experience flying RC aircraft and programming "expo" on your transmitter, you will know exactly what I am talking about.
The problem I see with the Comfort (& therefore Traction) throttle is the slow engine response (not amount) of rev-match and the delayed drop in rpm off throttle or when clutch depressed (rev hang). It doesn't go well with fast shifting/hard driving.

Sport+ throttle imo doesn't go well with near/on-limit driving, on track I find there is very very little difference in throttle between a fast near perfect corner exit and going sideways. With my original iStep (July 17 LCI) it was less an issue as even with MDM the traction control would intervene, not so after my iStep was update Dec 18 (to F020-18-11-531). I suspect even the best professional racer wouldn't like Sport+ throttle.

With Sport throttle the engine rpm responds (up & down) like an old cabled accelerator. At 0-20% of peddle the power delivery is identical to Comfort and thereafter the increase is gradual (at least to me). It's a lot easier (& safer) pushing the car on the limit.

To me it's apparent the manual transmission didn't get too much consideration when they decided on set-up of the OG driving modes (& lack of user customisation), not unlike the arm rest design (height) which is clearly a result of auto/DCT transmission R&D cars.

Last edited by David.m; 10-08-2020 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
Caduceus342.00