10-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #179
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Good to know.
Is this a BMW decision, or is it just your dealer honoring that limited warranty?
It's the nature of the warranty on the parts themselves. The BMW Parts Warranty.

"All Genuine OEM BMW Parts and Accessories come with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty valid at any BMW dealership across the United States."

So let's say you get the tail light error and they replace the tail light on the last day of your new car warranty... the replacement taillight has a two year warranty of it's own that will cover the tail light if the tail light breaks.

This is an additional reason to go to the dealership for this tail light issue, instead of coding out a questionable warm check. If BMW wants to continually replace different parts, blindly hoping one of them is the problem... well you get a 2 year warranty on each of the parts that were replaced, starting the day they were replaced. So it's kinda like a 2 year extended warranty, that only exists for parts that BMW replaced on your car. If BMW replaces every single part that might possibly be causing the tail light error, while you're under factory warranty, you get a 2 year warranty, specific for that part, starting each day that new part was installed.

However, I imagine this probably doesn't also cover fixing the tail light issue specifically when you are outside of warranty. I'm not sure BMW is always gonna replace your tail light every time you get the tail light error. Or continually replace parts they've already replaced after the issue comes back. Eventually they might say something like "Maybe we should try replacing your DME instead". And if you're out of factory warranty, well you would have to pay for the DME to be replaced.
Appreciate 0