View Single Post
      06-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #263
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
The G87 M2 being based on G29 Z4 platform is a sheer misunderstanding spread among the enthusiast community.

The 2 Series coupe (G42) will be based on a variation of CLAR platform that underpins everything from the Z4 to the 7 Series. In this sense, you can say M5 is also somewhat based on Z4.

The G87 M2 will be directly based on G42, of which we've already seen the leak picture. Most would agree it's pretty disappointing visual wise. The G87 and G42 will share chassis, unibody, a lot of body panels and all the electrics, just like the F87 and F22 do. There is very little BMW is able to change at this point, having made this far.

The M that's based on G29 Z4, if it ever gets made, would be called Z4M, potentially the best M that BMW can make at this age.

The M2 for the foreseeable future, will go into the market as the entry budget M model. However, the Z based M should be positioned similarly to the M4 if not slightly higher.

BTW, BMW doesn't seem to be eager to build something to compete against the M3/4, the very core and highly profitable M model.

Sean
I made sure not to use word "platform" to make it clear I was in no way implying this.

I understand that platform is an overarching term that more so relates to the development philosophy and not that the 2 series and X7 will share a physical chassis components. This is why I used the word "underpinnings" and not "platform" to avoid this confusion because it is obvious that any new rwd BMW will be based on the CLAR platform.

The future 2 series being based off the Z4/Supra underpinnings that will produce 2 very similarly sized coupes with the 2 series/M2 and Supra, which will have very similar engine options and probably similar pricing.
Appreciate 0