View Single Post
      06-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #253
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagnificent55 View Post
Having driven a Cayman and Cayman S 6mt immediately prior to my first foray in an M2, I couldn't care less about the added weight. The M2 felt immensely more powerful, spirited, and yet forgiving. The 60-100 extra horsepower for the M2 vs the base 718 Cayman made the driving experience wholly different. While they might technically have people cross-shopping them, I think I'd be more inclined to compare the Z4 to the 718s. The manual on the M2 was also much smoother. Sure, the Porsche transmission was remarkably precise, but the M2s manual just made me feel like I was a better on a manual transmission than I actually was. No accidental jerkiness, no lugging starts off the line, just a blast. I don't even want to look at the Supra, either. From the moment it was released I had no interest, and I don't know why.
I understand that the M2 is a different driving experience than the Cayman and the Z4/Supra are direct competitors to the Boxster/Cayman respectively. But with the new M2 built on Z4/Supra underpinnings, it will be a very similar car to the Supra albeit 2+2, which may lead to it being cross shopped with the Cayman. That leads me back to my question on how BMW and Toyota will differentiate the two vehicles if they are 2 similarly sized cars with potentially the same engine and transmission options.
Appreciate 0