AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon157 View Post
Lots of good points to consider! My M2 won't be my daily driver either and I won't be driving it in the winter months so the loss of heating function isn't a big deal. You would describe the leather on the V2 wheel as firmer and less supple then? You think BMW uses a different leather than that on the stock wheel? (unfortunately my dealer doesn't stock these so I can't do my own comparison).
I'm not sure if the leather is any different or if it's just the difference in shape, but that top section on the V2 is not very comfortable to hold on to. It has a sharp angle to it and doesn't feel as padded or spongy as the stock wheel which is odd because it's actually much thicker and doesn't have the heating bar underneath it so you'd think it would be soft but it really isn't. I also don't have the biggest hands in the world so that area just doesn't feel great to grab if you're driving with one hand on the wheel (as I often do since I have a 6MT).

If you use the alcantara parts its the most comfortable thing ever. The issue with that is then those areas will wear out faster which stinks because the material is very pretty and I don't want to ruin it with my sweaty hands. Idk about you but i'm not about to start wearing driving gloves everywhere i go so i'd rather just grab on to a leather section of the wheel when i'm just cruising around. I usually steer with just my left hand at either 12 or 7 o'clock position rather than driving with two hands at 3 and 9 when I'm just putting around town so I do grab those leather areas quite a bit. Maybe someone with DCT or a different driving technique wouldn't use those areas as often as I do but that's how I drive.

Regardless of all my seemingly negative comments I really do love the wheel. I just don't want to talk it up and then have people buy it and be disappointed that it isn't what they expected. If you have the opportunity to feel one in person I would do that for sure.

Also be aware of how delicate alcantara is and know that it will wear much faster than leather.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 06-22-2018 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 3
Jcon157316.50
ZPrime611.50