01-31-2016, 02:51 AM   #389
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I think the 320 fill that gap United States. I don't think you'll see the front wheel drive one. Although people have the Mercedes front wheel drive One and it's nice looking car. People like it.
The 320i was introduced to fill the gap that the CLA and A3 made. BMW didn't have a 1-series sedan available to bring over, and the US doesn't do well with hatches, so their best option was to make a cheaper 3 series in the mean time. Although I wonder why they didn't have the foresight to create a sedan variant, especially for the F2x 1/2 series, when they knew they were bringing it to the US.

The next gen 1 will definitely be sold in the US to go head to head against the CLA and A3. The new X1 has already popped the FWD cherry. 1 series is next. The people that buy these don't care about FWD or RWD.

Now with that being said, I do hope that they have a separate RWD based product plan for the 2 series. With the success of the 135i, 1M, M235i and soon M2 with the enthusiast buyers, it would be a huge letdown to make the next 2er FWD based. THESE are the buyers that know and care about the difference between FWD/RWD/AWD. But in reality, it will probably become a highly tuned turbo 4 with AWD like the CLA45 AMG and S3.
Appreciate 3