View Single Post
      02-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #51
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I think the one thing we can agree upon here, is that there are different opinions on this subject!

Couple of interesting things however
1. This article
https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...a-new-car.html
is counter to what BMW says in their manuals (article says 4,500 RPM and 1,300 miles, manual says 5,500 RPM and 1,200 miles).

It also says "Experts recommend" instead of "BMW recommends" - interesting.

Good stuff on the tires, brakes and shocks in there as well.

Interestingly - they say changing the oil is no longer required, which I think most "experts" would disagree with.

2. BMW does NOT change the transmission oil any more. I had mine changed in my manual transmission car at like 4,000 miles (at my expense) and the oil analysis I had done said the transmission oil was completely fine (read, Doug, you wasted your money on the trans fluid change).

3. Most experts still say most of the engine break-in happens in the first hundred miles (or less) - so I personally maintain that doing some nice pulls VERY EARLY in your ownership experience is super important. Nothing could be worse than puttering around. In my personal experience, I did this (strong pulls) with my M5 and my 650xi and neither used a drop of oil in the time I had them - whereas lots of people had lots of engine oil consumption issues in those motors. Scientific proof? Far from it - but as others have said, it worked for me so I'll go by what I go by.
Appreciate 2
ROASTM163.50