Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Probably more than my 2 cents but here goes..
I now have the ZF8 in an X3M. It's no sports car but its interesting to compare the behavior of the standard ZF8, an M ZF8, and the M DCT.

First off, I'd driven manual transmissions for 20 years across many cars including an E39 M5 and a 650i MT! But commuting in Charlotte traffic got me to the dark side and I've been a fan of the DCT ever since.

I feel the M DCT can provide the full and same control of the car and engine speeds as a 6 MT. I love it on track/autocross and even a twisty road. It's worth upshifting for 3 seconds and back down for the next corner. I'd hold an MT at high RPMs, not shifting if in that case. You just can't heel/toe or feather the clutch. That's automated for you now. I use paddles mostly but the shift lever when accelerating hard from a stop and shifting 1-2. Especially if making a turn. The auto mode is OK in the M2C. I'm not expecting a luxury car experience like was desired in my M550i. I've experienced the bucking bronco at times but mostly just moving away from a stop in just beyond light throttle in traffic. Otherwise its perfectly smooth and suits the character of the car.

I don't have much experience with the M ZF8 yet but it can shift quite fast. Oddly, the shift pattern is the same as the DCT, not the standard ZF8. An interesting way to compare feel is imagining the torque off/on to be a V in the DCT and a U in the ZF8. Just as quick but smoother transition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Same, and I really enjoy the DCT in manual all the time. I too fear the ZF8 in the next M2 or whatever, and the lack of a DCT option
I can agree with these comments having owned a DCT car for six years and test driving the X3MC/M5C. DCT has more drama, but not everyone is into it I guess. Fun in manual mode and wasn't intended for an auto mode really. I really love the DCT, but whenever I get into an M2C I'm going for the manual.
Appreciate 0