01-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #174
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
The irony is that the majority of these real M cars are being used in the exact same manner as most of us M340i drivers. Which is daily commute to and fro from work which really defeats its true purpose and capability.
I somewhat disagree. M cars have always been do-it-all vehicles - cars which can do the daily stuff well, and support the rigors of track duty reasonably well.

I say reasonably well because most M cars which are tracked vary to some extent from stock: brake pads, fluid, camber plates, track tires all seem to be almost mandatory for track duty. For example, while I usually leave the track pads on the car from April to November, there is a significant downgrade in daily driveability as a result (that noise, the clunking etc). No stock M car is truly suitable for real track duty, and I’m including in this category those equipped with carbon ceramic brakes as well. (Unless you really are ok with a $9,000 replacement cost I guess).

So looking at it this way, “real” M cars have always been designed for the dual duty with certain limitations.

Then again, something like an M5 is very rarely seen at the track, as it’s too big and heavy really, and hard on the consumables.

And what to make of the MSUVs? Let’s not get there...

Anyway I don’t really care what they call the cars. I buy them 100% for the capabilities and not the lore or status. Well, 99% maybe.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 3
Dylan861330.00
Moflow2484.50
JTO245276.00