Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Great post!
Thanks, and sounds like a royal PITA.
It was... initially... It took me about 6 hours to work out what was going on to be honest.

As I said, I did this because I was removing the clutch delay valve, and that part of the process (removing the slave cylinder and removing the CDV from the inlet) took about 30 mins, including putting the car on the Quickjack.

I started this at about 9pm, and by 10pm I had everything back together ready to bleed, and this is where I ran into problems.

By 2am, having poured nearly a quart of brake fluid through the system and got some in my eye, drips over my shirt face and hair, and most over the garage floor, I gave up. By that time I'd tried (and failed) positive pressure at the reservoir (without fluid in a container), vacuum at the slave nipple, and reverse bleed using the marinade syringe.

Before going to bed I ordered the Motive pressure bleeder from Amazon for same day delivery before 9pm, figuring by that point that I wouldn't be going to the office that day.

In the morning, I borrowed my wife's car and picked up another litre of brake fluid and a pump oil can from Harbor Freight. I spent about 2 hours trying reverse bleed with the oil can, but eventually found that if there is any back pressure at all, the pump in the can just stops working.

At this point I tried reverse bleeding by using the container from the Mityvac connected to my airbrush compressor. about 10ml went in initially, but I had to start increasing the pressure to force more fluid in. The Mityvac container is designed for vacuum though, and with pressure, the cap doesn't seal well and the best I could get was about 15psi, and this only flowed about another 10ml upwards; not nearly enough to get to the reservoir.

I stopped for lunch and planned to give up again, and wait for the Motive unit to arrive. After lunch though I decided to go back and give regular pedal pump bleeding another try, paying careful attention to the level in the clutch section of the reservoir, and as you know for my OP, this worked.

Now that I know all of this, I don't think it is a PITA at all, but knowing it was what made it so.

My colleague has a BMW and wants to come over and do this work to his car. Now that I know the process I'm sure it will take 1 or 2 hours tops.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0