Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I see!

But the problem is now getting the dealer to do it. On the m2 owners manual it says consult the service center nothing about what oil weights are acceptable. Then the dealer always says do what the sticker says... So pretty much no choice, the people working st the dealer aren't enthusiasts they dont care.
Oh yeah. if the car is out of warranty, people should go LL01 and preferably W40 weight.
In Canada things are a bit different. Here we have Magnusson-Moss Act and dealers and vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to corner customers on stuff like this. Basically, from the moment you take ownership of a car, you could do oil change in the parking lot with LL01, and they cannot do anything about that.
As long as you keep records and receipts of doing the oil change yourself and LL01 is still an approved oil rating for the motor.
IMO yes, but wording about LL01 is sketchy. Mercedes is much better on this. They give three options to use, specifications, not grades, and basically say: MB229.5: protection.
MB229.71: fuel economy.
BMW purposely made this very confusing.
There is no engine that cannot use thicker oils. Otherwise, they would always prematurely wear out bcs. cold starts and city driving. LL01 is still used in B generation engines and BMW latest specification, LL19FE is actually HTHS above 3.5 which means heavy W30 and light W40 oils, basically improved LL04.
There's a table in the service manual that lists every bmw engine approved oil by spec. I.e ll01, ll01 fe, ll04, etc….nothing in there about oil weight.
I think vehicles with B58 come with grades too. BMW is so inconsistent with this that soon they might be worse than VW which has one oil recommendation in manual, another under the hood and dealerships use third.
Appreciate 0