MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
In theory MR you are right, but in the UK (and may other places) the annual emissions checks are just a very loose functional check of CATs and hydrocarbon emissions / lamda readings.

More recent checks for integrity of emissions systems are "visual inspection" only and covers etc are not to be removed (engine undertrays for example). There will be no OPF test in the same way there is no DPF test.

My 335i was well inside the test limits with only Secondary CATs because the test limits have barely changed since 1996 when CATs test was introduced. The test is to detect NO or failed CATs only, not the check type approval level!

It is not possible for a regular garage to test to the relevant EURO4/5/6 limits, you would need very expensive equipment, almost laboratory conditions and well trained technicians - This is exactly what you average back street MOT garage does not ever have and the government would never pay for it either.

...so back on thread... secondary CATs would pass MOT, but we still need to deal with OPF detection on the car...

EDIT: I've just checked MOT data, and the N54 335i has a CO pass limit of 0.2% (which mine passed with only sec cats at less than 0.1%). But the S55 F80 M3 has a CO limit of 0.3% - so 50% higher than the old N54 engine!

Good old MOT
All I can say is really interesting! I heard from the German market that there all is going upside down on this matter, due to the link with the taxes and because everyone has gone completely mental due to dieselgate.

I was not aware of the UK systems, but if it is that easy then bring it on. This seems to be easier than I initially thought, but then again let's just hope they aren't going to update any of the systems like in Germany. It is freaking 2.5 years away.

Can you imagine what happens if in the news drops that all cars might be EURO6, but there is no way to test that during a MOT? It would become MOTgate. Everyone is so stressed about emissions everywhere... Pfff meanwhile plans are flying more and more and oil tankers are pushing out worse gasses into the sky.

Feels like the German market is leading on this matter again and the other markets are far behind and not even following yet. I wonder if my current set up is even "homologated" in my country, because we are further behind then the rest of Europe on this matter.

Thanks for the explanation. Learned something new about the UK.

MR
Appreciate 0