12-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #54
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
What are your thoughts on 3M Scotchguard vs Expel? I was quoted 2500 for full front with rear fenders fully covered and window tint on back windows + rear glass with 3Ms Scotchguard
Scotchgard's 3M Pro Film is the apparent go to if choosing 3M PPF. I have heard great things about this film; excellent clarity, minimal orange peel, good comparable thickness to its competitors. This is their latest version. That said, I have no personal experience with it. Some detailers say they love it, others not so much. The majority seem to shy away from it.

It is kind of ironic 3M has fought to gain control again. They were the first to the PPF scene dating at least back to the early 2000s. Their film was initially developed for helicopter blades against pitting. The film was only available is certain dimensions and had to be cut by hand on the car. One example is the Porsche hood which could not be completely covered with one piece. My 2008 turbo and 2010 GT3 had the typical uncovered small small pie piece at each corner of the hood nearest the windshield. The film offered superb protection but had some orange peel.

Xpel is also a great product and all I currently allow on my cars. That does not mean Xpel is superior to Scotchgard Pro Series. I am just not ready to commit until I hear more from actual clients.

Install costs should be similar whether choosing Xpel or 3M. Choose the installer not the film.

Last edited by devo; 12-02-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0