United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Caduceus and FaRKle!, can't thank you guys enough! Finally understand how it works and it makes total sense. I just need to either explain this whole thing to my shop or find a place that knows all this stuff. Again, really appreciate both answers!
I'd be a bit wary if your shop isn't already familiar with this concept since it's not that uncommon and other coilovers (like BC) use similar methods. Just across the Bay from you, Edge Motorworks in Fremont has always done a quality job for me. I assume you're looking for a place to adjust the ride height and corner balance too, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
So for this step, what's the best practice in general? Should I stick to Ohlins recommended preload which is 40mm as you said or is there another way to come up with a right preload number? (Also, just to confirm, based on what I have read so far, the preload is set using the shock body in this case, right? )
The Ohlins instructions have a standard preload (5mm) mentioned in the front strut assembly section, but don't have one mentioned for the rear. It's likely you can use the same value though. What this means is after you dial in your ride height, adjust the damper length such that at its longest, the lower camber arm droop is limited such that the spring is still compressed by 5mm.
Believe it or not, my suspension was installed by one of the most reputable BMW shops in the Bay but the tech who did the install was new and wasn't really familiar with it. At the end, I just gave up and left everything as it came out of the box, meaning the spring perch is set to 40mm (same as the pic above) and my rear shock has the preload that came with it (the tech couldn't even break loose the nut on the shock body). What's interesting is that I have a friend who has the exact same car and coilover kit. I showed him this thread and he's just as surprised as me because his experience is the exact opposite. His car is even slightly lower than mine and he's running even stiffer settings (11-12 clicks in the rear) but he doesn't have any of this ride comfort issues that I'm experiencing. His was installed by the same shop by a different tech. This has been really frustrating for me to say the least...
Appreciate 0