05-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Durham View Post
What did you use to protect those areas prior to your installation? I have a 160 mile drive to my installer.
Also, do you consider the factory film on the rear fenders does not extend high enough?
I used some stuff that I purchased from Target (it's basically shelf contact paper) as it was fairly inexpensive and I didn't feel like taking hours wrapping the car as I didn't have the time on the day that I picked up the car.

There are a bunch of different solutions including Road Wrap, Trac Wrap (Xpel product but expensive), 3M painters tape, and spray on solutions such as Road Warrior or the 3M spray on solution. I only had to go 40 miles, so I probably could have got away with having no protection on the front, but make sure that you cover the areas behind the tires, so the paint doesn't chip before you get the car wrapped.

As for the rear fenders, my installer recommended getting the fenders reapplied a bit higher up (like Porsche 911s) due to rock chips flying up and hitting right above the area the factory film sits. I went to the middle of the arch - I'll try to find a picture.

Picture of the temporary wrap that I used:

Picture of rear fender:

Appreciate 0