View Single Post
      05-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK2 Focus RS Stage 4+

Garage List
Drove an M4 Comp, M2 Comp and M2 LCI back to back today, results surprised me.

Well, today, I got an opportunity I didn't think I would get, the chance to drive an M4 Comp, M2 Comp and M2 OG back to back on my own so I could properly get to know the cars. The results were... Interesting, to say the least.

I'll start by saying I have owned some fast cars and have a lot of time behind the wheel of the OG LCI M2 as my brother in law owns it. I am in the market for one of the three, and off the top of my head, the M4 was by far the one I expected to fall in love with and want to buy.

Let's start with the first drive... The M2 Competition.

I have been so curious about this car for a long time, especially having driven the OG M2 so many times; driving up to the dealership, they had it ready for me, and boy did it look good, so mean and aggressive. We got the small talk out of the way, and I was handed the keys to go find out for myself.

Initial impressions, the seats are excellent, the OG M2 lacks here. I love the leather steering wheel (My Bro has the V1 wheel); this surprised me, actually. And it sounds so much better on start-up in person than on YouTube vids. First things first, the driving position; I see what people mean now when they say the position is a little high in the M2 Comp; I had it in its lowest and most tilted back position, and it's nice and sporty don't get me wrong but was still high.

Put everything to Sport+ and hardest setting and off I went. The car makes a lovely rumble setting off, whether it's fake or real I don't care, I liked it. The diff whining away, engine rumbling, DCT shifting, it had occasion which is what I want. I took off and got the engine nice and warm and got myself onto some proper highway roads to start seeing what it can do, I floored in 2nd gear and it started wheel spinning, good start. I went through the power band a bit more to get to know the car and then switched to the paddles...

Well, I'll say first, it does act like a N/A car, the thing wants to rev, it wants to play. I felt a strong connection to the car, like I was driving it as it egged me on to do more. It's fast, very fast, but not an in your face fast, the power is linear and progressive. I both liked and disliked this; it feels like a proper performance car but needs a bit more low down grunt to get the stomach going.

The steering felt heavier than the OG, more planted and serious. You can tell this is a more focused car better suited for the track than the previous one. It felt more stable aswell, more comfortable performing hard. The DCT was amazing as always and I thought it sounded amazing to be honest, no complaints there.

There's something about the M2 Comp, it's drawing me in, I can't quite tell what it is but I want more, I feel like this is a car you could fall in love with the more you drive it.

What didn't I like? Well to be honest other than maybe the 'lack' (for lack of a better term) of low down thrust, there isn't much. The thing I loved is also the thing I kind of dislike.

The wheels look better in person, still not a fan, they lack concave and give the car a slimmer look. The worst back box in history, that thing looks hideous. Other than that in black with them Icons

I came away from this one so torn, I want more but not for the reasons I thought. Interesting car this.

Now, for me, the BIG one. The M4 Competition. A car I have obsessed over for years. I've watched every Youtube Video, read every thread.

I'll start by saying in my opinion the M4 is by far the best looking M car, it's gorgeous from every angle. I love the front end, so mean, from side on it is sublime. It has the M2 beaten here. The interior is lovely, a step above, leather everywhere, carbon etc. You guys know what I'm on about. The seats are a lot more adjustable, I was in a much better position in them, real low and slanted back like I was in the Apollo 13.

So, I go into this expecting well a car that wants to kill me, I will admit I was a little scared as I took with everything in its hardest setting. I've heard the stories and the nicknames.

Setting off nice and steady, again the engine grumbles along, sounds incredible. Has that supercar feel as you drive out of the car park, these M cars are something else. I get onto the same parkway I was just on in the M2 Comp and well both nervous and excited but thought here we go? I floor it and honestly was half expecting to shit myself when...

Well, it just accelerated, fast, yeah but very controlled, linear (hate that word) in fact. The wheels span in second, but nothing uncontrollable. The M4 felt big and heavy, very stable and comfortable at speed. I was a bit surprised but I thought let's get to manual. 2nd gear, 3000rpm floor it, again the revs build as the speed does, the engine comes alive at 4500rpm+

3rd gear 4000rpm, hold it and then floor, it propels forward in a controlled manner but is going 110mph in seconds. I was shocked, I was expecting a car that felt like a rocket, made me terrified and it was the opposite, a superfast cruiser. Yeah, I had read it was, nothing like the M2 but I was perhaps expecting a completely different car?

I'm no racing driver and perhaps if I spent more time with the car I'd see more of its character but my initial impressions were telling. Now, I'm not saying this is a bad car or slow by any means, in fact, the opposite; it's a rocket but a comfy, stable rocket.

Was it me? Was I driving it wrong? I had it at 7000rpm in every gear It felt big, and heavy, especially after the M2 (I know the M2 is almost the same weight).

I pulled back into the garage with more questions than answers lol these cars have so much character but boy are they different to one another. Perhaps, the M4 Comp isn't the car I've been looking for? Would the normal M4 be different?

To end the day I took the bro's OG LCI M2 out, why not? The 437 wheels are the best wheels BMW ever made, I'll never change that opinion.

I love the OG M2, it has so much character and fro day to day driving there really isn't much in it between the OG and the Comp. The Comp defo feels more set up and better on the road, it's faster and has more potential. But the OG is more fun low down and has more character, it's a real bargain for what you can pick them up for now.

Is the M2 comp better? Yeah, probably, not 10k better though.

So after it's all said and done, I find myself drawn back to that damn M2 Comp, there's something about that little fucker. If I could have the looks of the M4 with the drive of the M2 Comp and the low down acceleration of the Og M2 then I think that would be the perfect car, oh well, you can't have it all

Sorry, for the long write up, be interested to see what you guys think of them yourselves?

If it's okay I'll post this write up in both forums?

Cliffs.
M4 is a lot of stable and controllable than I thought.
M2 Comp is probably the most fun car BMW make.
OG M2 is still an amazing bit of kit.

Cheers
Appreciate 18
///M TOWN16524.50
DrJLag420799.00
wjones14658.50
D22M21373.50
Resoelg244.00
prompt292.00
happyjack1657.00
shaneguags1192.50
JMon3y26.00