View Single Post
      11-06-2019, 01:33 AM   #11
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
So you guys are not using your "free" maintenance from BMW? On all my BMWs, I have used the maintenance provided because the cars have always been driven less than 6K miles annually. When then maintenance runs out, I change the oil myself. I had been using Castrol 10W60 for my M5 and Z4M coupe (OE) but recently switched to Liqui-Moly 10W60 for both cars (S65 and S54 engines respectively) based on Mike Miller's recommendation. We'll see what my next Blackstone analysis reveals.

For the M2C, I plan on the same strategy. I will use the provided oil change yearly with 0W30 BMW/Shell and then decide which oil based on used oil analysis.

I love oil threads. They are legendary on M5board.com.
Not sure about the LM, but I always used the original Castrol TWS Motorsport when I could because it shears down to something like a 40 pretty quickly. I always thought the 10W-60 was a panic move after the initial bearing failures on S54 and might not really be the best choice for street use.

I used to be into UOA but saw several examples of S65 engines spin a rod bearing even after several good Blackstone reports. Not saying they are useless, but I am definitely more skeptical of their diagnostic capability.
Appreciate 1
KevinM2931.00