Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hey guys, here's an update from another open track day last month:

Max temps
Ambient - 101F
IAT - 152F
Oil - 275F
Coolant - 256F

The only difference with the car was I was mostly running BM3 OTS Stg 2 E30 5.8, vs Stg 2H 5.7. See log links below.

Quick thoughts:

IATs
I'm not worried about watching IATs anymore. The ethanol does a really good job of keeping power levels up when IATs increase. And, this track was more representative of the longer and more open tracks I visit, vs the shorter/tighter tracks that were really driving up IATs in my other posts.

The outcome was a max ambient/IAT delta of 51F, vs 60F on the tighter tracks. Seems reasonable considering a really hot day and pushing the car hard for 30+ min at a time.

Oil/Coolant Temps
These continue to be my bane.
I’ve been looking forward to the cooler fall weather here to be a big help in the coolant department - of course that means Saturday at COTA was only 93* The heat did give us a chance to see how the air to water intercooler conversion would fare - came away pretty happy. Didn’t pull any logs but could tell the temps were definitely lower & and never had timing pulled. Ran for almost a full hour at the end with only stops to come in to swap passengers every few laps. Previous runs in the heat would start having timing pulled by the end of the first lap. Feel like we are moving in a good direction. The top mount intercooler was very cool to the touch every time I came in. Feel like that made all the difference. IMO the design with the fmic is just not up to the job running hard on a hot track. IAT skyrocket quickly and everything just heatsoaks soon after that.

The 7670 turbo is in but we are still running stock level power so I’m not 100% how it will fare when we get to full power. At full boost it would make awesome power - but would pretty quickly kick into limp mode. Had to cap the boost pretty low to keep it from glitching out. As we work through the tune I’ll let you know how the cooling holds up. Definitely better at stockish power levels - hopefully that holds up as the power increases too.

Vents might help a bit, but Imo to see a big benefit from them you really need to direct the hot air out. Without the room to funnel it out I don’t think they will be very effective. If you are not a fan of their aesthetics then I would maybe pass on them. If you can handle their look then should help a bit, just maybe not as much as you are hoping for.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50