09-18-2019, 01:24 AM   #94
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
So the more I read this thread, the more I think I want to go Remus.

I currently have the Magnaflow catback. It's somewhat of a disappointment. It is different than the stock exhaust, definitely a deeper tone, but I'd also say that it's actually quieter than stock. I have ASD coded off, and everything else is stock, although I also have an AWRON gauge with the exhaust flap control option, so I can toggle the flap between Auto, Closed, and Open.

The one plus to the Magnaflow is that the flap is somewhat more noticable than with the stock catback. On stock exhaust, it's actually hard to tell the difference between flap open/closed based on sound alone, unless you're parked next to a wall... and even then, I hear the noise from the flap squeaking more than I noticed a tone change.

With the Magnaflow, flap open definitely sounds a bit deeper and more throaty. But I don't think it's any louder than stock. For a daily driver / highway cruise, this is nice in some ways... no drone at 3k RPM (which is 70-80mph in 6th for us MT'ers). IMO, the stock exhaust had a slight touch of hum in that range.

But I want more volume. So I've been hunting...

One thing I don't fully understand - how the hell are the "mufflers" on the Remus actually working? It doesn't seem like there is anything forcing gas to enter those mufflers and then come back out - they just look like a cylinder dangling off the side of the pipe. How/why would gas even want to flow into them, when it can just go out the open pipe instead? Or are these cylinders used more as Helmholtz resonators, helping to cancel out unwanted frequencies without actually requiring any major gas flow through them? RemusUSA can you offer any insight into the sound design here and how these weird "dangling cylinders" are actually able to affect the tone?

Because other than the cylinders and the change from single pipe to twin mid-pipes under the car, there doesn't appear to be anything else in this exhaust that should alter sound much. It looks basically like straight pipes, but with these cylinders in the back where a normal "suitcase" muffler/silencer would live.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0