05-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #52
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Alex View Post
Awesome progress! Keep on sharing, please!

I've never delved into meth, so forgive me for asking silly questions, but I was curious about a few things.

1) What kind of meth are you running? VP M1? M3? M5? Something else? Are you just buying barrels of it and storing it at home?
2) Is the car always using meth, or only under high boost?
3) What protections do you have for if you were to run out of meth? Just have multiple maps for different fueling situations?
4) From reading your earlier posts, am I right in saying that the advantage of running this direct port injection, rather than just running a fuel mixture in the main tank, is that the stock fuel system will eventually be limited (even with a HPFP)? Dumb question (I use to be a honda b-series guy, sorry) is there no way to run larger injectors in the M2 along with the upgraded fuel pump?
5) Where did you mount the 3 gallon meth tank?
Keep the questions coming, I don't mind one bit. Hopefully I can answer them all!

1) I'm running just regular old methanol I'm getting from a local chemical supplier in the city. It's basically the same stuff you can get at Home Depot, its just cheaper because I'm ordering it in larger quantities. It also can be found under the name "Methyl Hydrate". I'm mixing it myself (weight by volume) and just storing about 5 - 10 gallons of premixed 80:20 in the garage so that if I ever need to top up the tank I already have some readily available. As a side note, I thought about running VP Racing methanol, specifically M5, but I came to the conclusion that in this case, it just isn't worth it for me. The gains would be nice, but I'm not striving to milk every once of power out of the car. Just looking for a good reliable amount of power. I'm sure there are other benefits to VP Methanol such as lubrication and anti-knock additives, but regular methanol is working just fine. Additionally, VP Methanol Is pretty expensive up here in Canada (~ $100 for 5 gallons).

2) The car only uses methanol when under boost. Anytime the car hits 4 PSI the methanol begins to spray progressively. When daily driving or just commuting I don't use any methanol unless I step on it.

3) With the JB4 as a methanol controller it can detect whether or not the methanol is actually spraying, if it isn't spraying, the "meth map" isn't activated and the car runs significantly lower boost. That's the "failsafe" part of the JB4. If for example there was an extended period where my tank was empty and I needed to just drive it for a bit without being able to refill, I would just run a different map with lower boost. I could also just choose to stay completely out of boost and be just fine.

4) You are correct. The stock system will eventually be limited. If you were to upgrade the OEM direct injection injectors, and the OEM LPFP you would still be in the same situation - the HPFP would be unable to keep up with the fueling demand. There are two HPFP upgrades I know of, and compared to just direct port injection (gasoline or methanol), the HPFP upgrades are much more expensive. An alternative to direct port methanol is direct port fuel injection - it's the exact same system except you upgrade the LPFP as well to feed 6 additional injectors on the intake manifold spacer. The feed line is T'd off of the fuel line that comes from the gas tank. Hopefully this makes sense!

5) I have the 3 gallon methanol tank mounted in the trunk. I've posted a picture of the tank below!

Last edited by Endeav; 07-07-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
S1monQc223.50
M3 Alex122.50