12-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #1221
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Do people actually take lap times into consideration when buying a new car...? I couldn't care less what times a professional driver can do on a track that my car will likely never visit. Is this something that people bring up when talking to others about their car "uhh yeah, with a professional behind the wheel, it'll do XXX time around Laguna Seca." I can't say I've ever heard anyone actually talk lap times except for 10 year olds on video games. Buy a car for how it makes you feel, for your own reasons. 99.99% of drivers on the road will never be close to skill of a pro driver, so lap times mean nothing. Far too many variables, skill included, to make lap times relevant.
Very true when talking absolutes. But if you're comparing two cars with similar straight line performance and one has significantly faster lap times, chances are it will be more sorted in regular conditions or in inclement weather.

I fully agree that people get way too caught up in magazine data. I'll always choose a lighter, simpler car over a faster one. But that's partially from experience of owning both and recognizing the difference.
Appreciate 0