Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
No " M mirrrors " for you ! :

Seriously though. The aerodynamics of most M cars is actually worse than the lower models, and I'm sure the 'M mirrors' indeed are partly to blame.

I'll have to go find the Cd of the 228 vs M235/M240 vs the M2.
The aero difference would be absolutely negligible for a street car even light track duty. Completely irrelevant. It was purely cost and marketing.

So now that I have my M2, I actually really hate the mirrors. It's the one thing that doesn't quite fit the character car. I can even excuse the seats. But I have to look at those dumbo ear mirrors, identical to my X1, every time I'm driving.

If the CS has the M mirrors, then we should be able to easily retrofit. Waiting on IND.
That sounds like you just ignored the actual facts and simply restated your personal reasons for not liking them. ?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...st-review/amp/

" The M2 runs through 1,320 feet in 12.8 seconds at 107.5 mph. The M4? Noticeably quicker: 12.5 seconds at 116.5 mph. The reason for the discrepancy there is simple: The M2 has a higher coefficient of drag (0.35 versus 0.34, with similar frontal area) and 14 percent fewer horsepower, but only 2.9 percent less mass to accelerate. "

Cd- M2 - 0.35
Cd- m235 - 0.33
CD- 228 - 0.29

Cd- M4 is 0.34

So... Presuming a BMW engineer didn't straight up lie to consumers, if BMW had placed ' M MIRRORS " on the M2 it would be even *slower * compared to the M4 ... and even closer to the M235 /M240 than it is currently. That might be a bigger problem for BMW than people on forums worried about mirrors.

I mean seriously, since it does appear to be primarily about vanity for you, your aftermarket purchase of an ' m mirror solution' will be welcomed by a vendor who has no reason to care about your vehicle performance , but rather instead making it look visually more attractive (to you ).

The fact that you are so incensed by the mirrors just proves that bmw was correct. Just like the folks over at Porsche , They can hustle about 15k out of some chaps over things like " ///M mirrors " carbon fiber trim pattern , ///M buttons , and ' ///M seats ' , ///M carbon fiber roof" let alone performance items.

Nice move by BMW ,an ///M carbon fiber hand brake lever is probably next !

I'm actually truly amazed that BMW hasn't got "///M performance mirrors " for you .... they are totally missing out.
LOL

right so the reason for the difference is definitely mirrors not the fact that the cars are dimensionally completely different in every aspect. You got me there bud.

in the end I see no evidence that mirrors would materially make a performance difference either way. it's the aero of the car as a whole.