01-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #20
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
100% agree, S-Class has been very far ahead for a while now. The S-Class has the elegant design inside and out that the 7-series lacks (especially with the new front end, which doesn't work as BMW is trying to mix two different eras of design language onto one car), and just feels more special and different from the other Mercedes. A new S-Class is coming out next year I believe and it will likely further the gap between the two. BMW just needs to do something different with the 7-series, the current formula just doesn't seem to make it a better car than the rest of the class, and clearly it isn't the handling king it once was so BMW needs to refocus their efforts.
This generation has always felt like a lazy effort overall. It's certainly a good car and improved over its predecessor, but it's lacking that X factor which the Merc brings to the table. I still remember revealing spy shots of this car being panned on this forum. It really doesn't look much different from the F01 generation or the smaller 5-series. Interior design is also quite boring. The tech and materials/build quality are first class, but that's not enough when the Merc just "feels" more special overall.

They had to do something radical with the LCI because nobody really paid any attention to this generation. At least they got people talking about it now. The 7er is really the weak spot in BMW's portfolio, as the rest of their vehicles are among the best in their respective segments.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00