02-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #118
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Random question - how would you compare the M2C to your S2000? I understand the two cars aren't of the same class, time period or purpose, but both are performance sports vehicles; so figured I'd get your take, aside from some of the obvious differences and strengths/weaknesses: 2 seater roaster vs 4 seater coupe, weight differences, ride height, and NA high rev vs. turbo engineer characteristics, technology and luxury features, etc.

How's overall driving 'feel', tossability/nimbleness, fun factor, balance..

Thanks!
Hmmm interesting question.
For starters, I can't literally compare them side to side because they're physically located 6,000 miles away from each other. But I did drive the s2000 over Christmas and I nearly crashed the car once I started driving! The clutch feel, shifter, everything was SO MUCH DIFFERENT than the M2 it really threw me off.
I think the best way to explain it is the M2 is a hammer and the s2000 is a razor. Actually, a better analogy is the S2000 is a brain surgeon and the M2 is an ER doc - S2000 is precise, exact, and if you mess up it's big consequences with nothing to save you - rear steps out there's literally no saving it. The M2 is sooo forgiving if the rear steps out, but goes about everything with brute force (and quickly at that!) that kind of leaves you in awe that "you were able to keep that guy alive??" One's focus on the track is momentum (s2000) and the M2 is about power. S2000 is a true "sports car" or even I'd say a "track car" that you can drive on the street, whereas the M2 is street car that you can drive on the track.

In terms of value, you get more value out of a s2000. If I de-modded my s2000 and sold it today, I'd sell it for more I bought it for. The M2 depreciated the second I started driving it. S2000 is seen as one of the last raw and mechanical sports cars, and the M2 is seen as a ton of technology shoved in a small package. I love how much cool technology the M2 has and it's all a lot of fun to play with. M2 has torque whereas the S2000 doesn't and you really have to wring it out to get it to do anything, M2 is much more balanced than i thought it would be, but doesn't have the 50/50 weight distribution of the s2000.

So yeah I'd say that they're extremely different, yet of course share similarities. They have that base sports car DNA but one is compromised and the other isn't. You can't choose one or the other because they both serve a different purpose. Most people who buy a s2000 and then sell it end up buying another s2000 later on down the road, I think people who sell the M2 end up buying a M3/4 later on.

Anyway, hope that answers your question in a roundabout way.