09-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Ever since we collected our M2 we wanted to carry out this conversion. We hadn't seen it carried out before (found out the MOTO GP car had it afterwards!) but were confident it would be a straightforward as the M2 uses M3/M4 running gear.

We took the opportunity to weigh (KG) the components as we carried out the work.

Stock Front Caliper

Front Caliper for Ceramics

Stock Rear Caliper

Rear Caliper for Ceramics

Stock Front Disc

Ceramic Front Disc

Stock Rear Disc

Ceramic Rear Disc

The calipers weigh a total of 6.72 KG more but the discs are 14.98 KG lighter losing 3.96 KG of rotating mass on each front and 3.53 KG on each rear disc.

We are going to try to lose as much weight as possible off this car without stripping bits off it. Forged Wheels are next in stock sizes to shave of a few more KG's of rotating mass.

I almost came out of my chair when I saw the calipers weigh MORE! Glad I kept reading to see that discs provide weight savings for the combo. Thanks for taking the time to make these measurements..

8 lbs per corner is a decent amount of unsprung weight... but I still cant imagine that this really is a justifiable upgrade for anything more than the bling factor.. the calipers and rotors must have cost $7-10K... ?

The gold calipers look great on MG and would look great on BSM. Not sure they would work so well on AW or LBB

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-28-2016 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50