View Single Post
      01-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #205
V2RBY
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina B6 Coupe - on order

M Sport Packages

Here in the UK, 8 out of every 10 3 series BMWs I see on the road have the M-Sport package, and more like 19 out of 20 for the coupe.
When I purchased my (msport) 335i coupe the dealer said they only ever sold autos. Speaking only from my own experience and perception, it seems the market for BMW's and the sporty 3 series coupes consistes of people who love the brand for the M cars but can't/don't want to afford them, so they go for the sporty appearence but inlude all the creature comforts (satnav etc.). I couldn't afford the M3 but I do still laugh when I see badgeless 3 series M Sport coupes that have the tailpipe that shows them to be a 318/320.
Basically thius all tells me that BMW is using it's M brand reputation to extend it's reach to all areas of the market and this market is predominantly about people who aspire for an M but will pay for something cheaper that resembles an M. Like it or not it is a multi billion $ company that is going to use everything it has to expand sales and profits. Whether that's ultimately a good thing I don't really know. I guess I'd rather have a company that has umpteen number of models that included the more driver orientated ones I wanted even if the whole brand is a little diluted rather than a niche hard core player with cars that are way out of my price range (say Aston martin) or one that struggles through financial shocks (eg TVR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
I 100% agree with you, Im in the same camp, but Ive accepted that we cannot do anything about it. Im a life long enthusiast in BMW and M and cannot believe the direction they've taken with the engines, which is the true heart of the M. I will spite myself by not getting the new breed of M because I dont agree with FI on an M car from a traditional, historical point of view, and after 30+ years of defending NA, Im not going to back down and go for the FI versions now being contemplated and offered.
However, I could care less about the body packaging, that is all about poseurs and posing and I'll stand by that 100%. A car can look exactly like my M6 and have letters and aero kits to make one look like my M6, but its not an M6 and I know it, and thats all that really matters and should matter. If its not an M6, it doenst drive like an M6 and doesnt have the feel of the M6 and that doesnt affect me at all.

I hear you on the slaps, but again, thats an American thing more than anyting, in Europe and the rest of the world, they have always had M packages and M emblems all over their cars, even their smallest and entry level offerings, but it was BMW NA, because of enthusiast pressure in the past that caused them to sometimes not offer the Msport packs here in the states. M is BMW, I cant stress that enough, if not for BMW, there is no M, its a performance subdivision and design house, and in the world today where tuning and body kits are so lucritive as a market(just see SEMA) it makes all the sense in the world for BMW to do it themselves and keep the revenue in house.

BMW is a different company today than even 10 years ago, its a giant, and its growing, so many philosophies have changed as their focus has changed to be a global player of luxury performance cars, while in the past they were more of a performance car company with luxury added to fill a niche market.

We all have to make our own decisions as to whether this really bothers one so much that they will no longer support the brand, but at the end of the day, id still rather be driving a BMW, even if they're all called Ms..
Appreciate 0