09-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Funny what people gripe about. I gripe about the steering but am perfectly content with the transmission and shifter.

Nice review though. I thought it was as objective and fair as could be despite being personal opinion. You managed to make the car sound pretty good at least from the inside with the ASD on and windows closed.

Congrats on your M2C. I'm sorry about your roads though....ouch.
That's funny--I guess it is all personal perspective, and individual preference. Yes, our roads are absolutely horrible here in the NY 'burbs. It's very frustrating driving on them in a nice car. Our tax dollars at work. I've often thought the ideal daily driver for here would be an '80s Group B rally car. Long suspension travel, takes tremendous abuse, quick and maneuverable for traffic, small enough for easy parking, and with spare body panels for the inevitable contact with the generally terrible drivers in this area. In any case, I need to figure out a better camera system and/or mount for in-car use to reduce the transmitted vibration. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Nice review. In general, as a long-term BMW owner I agree with most of your observations. My only real difference in opinion is with the MT. I have been driving MT BMWs since 1999 continuously, and I think this is a great transmission. Now, I don't have a Porsche MT for comparison, although I have enjoyed driving them on occasion. Compared to the MT in my Z4M coupe and M5, the M2C MT (as was the case with my previous F80 M3) is much smoother and the clutch much lighter. I suppose my ideal BMW transmission would combine the shift feel of the F8X MT with the heavier clutch feel of my older Ms.

I haven't "researched" this issue at all, but I noticed you referred to "pseudo carbon fiber" trim. Not that it matters, but my general understanding is that the trim is plastic covered with real uncoated carbon fiber. Do you know differently? (Parenthetically, I think the whole CF thing has gone overboard. I think it is a great material for structural components, but overused for all the cosmetic stuff it is mostly used for. I ordered CF trim in the M2C for the same reason you did.)
Good to hear different thoughts on the manual transmission. I'll let you all know what I think of the AutoSolutions shift kit and UCP clutch pedal once they're installed. Thanks for correcting me on the carbon fiber trim--I had just assumed it was a treated fabric material made to look like carbon fiber. I am glad I chose it over the gloss black, though, because the gloss would be a fingerprint nightmare.