03-03-2024, 11:16 PM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cylenjoyer View Post
Doesn’t change the fact that bm3 doesnt get first release anymore, mhd beat them to canbus integration for port fuel via reflex when bm3 announced it first and was teasing it way longer than mhd. Also, rev 2 was announced on January 31, 2021 what are you talking about announced in late 2023??? Lmao
1) BM3 released their flexfuel tuning (even for DME's requiring FEMTO unlocking or not) for the gen 2 B58 and S58 way way way before MHD did, and at this moment I am still unsure if MHD supports flex fuel on the S58 yet.

2) BM3 develops hardware and software in house, so obviously it's going to take longer. MHD does not, they rely on motiv and bimecu to make the hardware. Plus when BM3 makes hardware they almost always do it right the first time, for example look at:

- MHD's flex fuel hardware vs. BM3. BM3 uses a high quality flexible braided AN line for connecting to the LPFP top hat. MHD uses that hard plastic line with very minimal flex, and is always a concern for cracking over time (I talk about it here to the creator of the kit: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=30). Now they switched to a braided AN line so any previous customer with the hardline has to buy a new one (thank fully they made that switch, I really hated that hard plastic line). MHD's flex fuel kit also draws power from the EKP, so not ideal for the F series n55's EKP which is already maxed out from the factory. BM3 also initially made the same design choice, but they have since revised it to take power from the FEM. MHD has not made this update, because it depends on their suppliers.

- BM3's flex fuel hardware has a bypass to lower restriction, MHD's does not. Again if MHD wanted to make this change they would have to depend on a 3rd party manufacturer, BM3 does everything in house.

-Next look at MHD's wifi adapter, they released the initial orange adapter, and the black enet adapter. They hyped this adapter as revolutionary etc etc etc. Turns out the black enet adapter was a relabeled enet adapter from Taiwan.... Then years later they finally released their bespoke MHD purple adapter, so again customers had a nice time wasting money having to buy it twice. I know because I was one of them. Bm3 on the other hand released their adapter once. Also the BM3 wifi adapter has encryption built in due to customer request, MHD does not.

- Look at motive reflex, it launched with a beavy of major glitches and faults according to all the customers that insaw complaining online, and MHD was powerless to fix it and had to rely on motiv to fix it over time (remember reflex was made to be universal for all engines and all cars and for multiple tuning software, bm3's hardware will be bespoke for bm3 and bmw - so it's should have way higher integration and should be more reliable right out of the box). With BM3 they will be able to fix asap as they see issues, look at their wifi adapter for example, BM3 saw the issue with connectivity and released a fix almost immediately - you can expect the same when their rev 2 board is out.

3) In terms of their REV 2 board, they announced it in 2021 as a teaser of what it can support in the future. I'm talking about custom rom V2 which is the software that will actually support these new features. They only announced it late last year.

4) Then if you want to compare MHD vs. BM3 take a look at the other aspects:

- M2 customers specifically requested a tuning option to get rid of the lag between shift and asked both BM3 and MHD to make the fix. With BM3 they have released this fix years ago on their OTS maps and will work with tuners to implement the fix on custom tunes. MHD AFAIK never made the same update, instead they released flat foot shifting as their interpretation of a "fix" which is completely wrong. Bm3 customers asked for more gauges on the dash board, BM3 implemented it and you have like 36 gauges that are viewable. When I asked MHD they told me you can't view more than 8 gauges at once there is no point. BM3 customers asked for wifi adapter password encryption, BM3 gave it to us. From what I saw on facebook when people asked for wifi adapter encryption MHD said that it wasn't needed. BM3 enables laptop connectivity so if you want to flash tunes, look at logs on a large scree device, make tuning changes - you can do it all from your laptop. With MHD you have to log with a phone, upload it to datazap, then switch to your laptop to look at the log and make changes, then email that change to your phone before being able to flash. It was a huge hassle and BM3 is light years ahead of MHD in that regard.

So IMO one company gives the customers what they ask for, one company thinks they know whats best. That's one of the reasons why I left MHD for BM3.

- License resale: BM3 allows you to resell your license once. MHD will not only VIN lock your license (which is already horrible), but they also lock it to your email address so you are absolutely screwed and can't even transfer it to the new owner of your car. When people ask about it, MHD refuses to even left people change their email or enable reselling. So that's a pretty big blow to any MHD customer. BM3 also lets you test their license for 30 days and if you're not happy you get your money back no hassle. Have fun testing MHD or even having a small amount of regret, because you if you do regret your decision you're screwed. BTW I don't think any other tuning company prevents you from resale or transferring your license to the new owner of your car, I think MHD is the only one that locks you in forever.

Overall I found BM3 to be way better than MHD ever was and was getting tired of them just not making changes that customers like myself would ask for (lag between shift, more guages so we don't need to remove gauges to see Ethanol content, password encryption for the wifi adapter, a front mounted flex fuel kit, the ability to sell or transfer a license etc etc etc). Also imo BM3 was way better compared to MHd from the level of customer service, from the fact that they actually care to listen to their customers, to having a significantly better GUI. And eventually when they release their Rev2 custom firmware they should match MHD in custom rom capability (the one thing MHD actually has on them right now) and far exceed them in many other areas (as mentioned above) - and that should make BM3 far better than MHD. Bm3 also hired a crap ton of new engineers hence why you're seeing all these new changes as of late, and that's what really made me switch from MHD - as they are really improving bm3 at such a rate that I believe they'll surpass MHD soon. For example they have their own data log viewer, table editor, web based tuning platform for computers, hardware design - all of which MHD doesn't even have. Bm3's gui imo also blow mhd's gui out of the water in terms of looks and customizability, and if you know how to code you know attractive gui's are always hard to make (human computer interaction is always difficult because people all have different tastes, and use computers in an unpredictable way - hence why even billion dollar companies can make a bad gui, windows 8 imo was an utter disaster and thags an example showing how hard it is to make a gui), and that just shows you the skill bm3 is adding to their team.

I don't hate MHD, they still make fantastic software and products, but I just got tired and needed a change and BM3 was that breath of fresh air that I needed.

Last edited by F87source; 03-03-2024 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 6
FSociety3812.50
imOFP210.50
jayee88102.50
Altra265.50