10-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3username View Post
It sounds like as long as the ash stays dry you'll be safe, when it gets wet you need to get it all off immediately so that may be the best strategy.
This. Getting the ash wet and letting it stay on there is bad, even dew in the mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
The car is waxed, but not ceramiced yet. I am getting some rock chips taken care of and then going for a full detail and ceramic after I get some exterior mods done next month before PPF.
I'm not sure if different brands of PPF will withstand ash better but I have 3M on one of my cars and it got absolutely trashed by ash that got wet. Significantly worse than the painted surfaces.

We've dealt with our fair share of ash in Oregon and what I do is blow the ash off with the leaf blower before I wash the car or really any time I see ash on the car just to be safe. That seems to work well if you catch it early.

But don't be mislead thinking that a few coats of wax will protect the paint because it won't. When all the covid lockdowns started this year I knew my car wouldn't be driven so I threw on a couple fresh coats of wax. A few days later my dumbass neighbor decided it would be a great idea to burn a big tree he cut down on a rainy day. It was literally raining ash and it didn't dawn on me to wash off the car. There was significant etching on the top surfaces and areas on the side panels where water and ash ran off the car. Countless hours of paint correction and it looks OK but not like it was. At least it was only my daily driver Fiesta ST.
Appreciate 2