Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
AVM

Really if I am driving in 3rd gear at 40-45 I am lugging the car ? I guess it's normal gearing at this speed , infact sometimes I am in 4th gear at this speed when I am coasting at that speed

since you drive a DCT can you check which gear the car is in when you are in D mode ?
Boss

You are only lugging the car if you are in 3rd or 4th gear cruising at 40-50 THEN apply aggressive throttle . . . under which circumstance you describe experiencing 'turbo lag.'

If I am in just cruising at 40-50 mph (Efficient and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D7 and about 2K RPM.

If I am just cruising at 40-50 mph (Sport and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D5 and between 2-3K RPM.

If I am just cruising at 40-50 mph (Sport Plus and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D4/5 and about 3K RPM.

How do I know? I just went out and tried all of these modes. As expected, applying aggressive throttle in any of the above scenarios is associated with some lugging and turbo lag. . . albeit a little less as you move from Efficient to Sport Plus modes.

This pertains to why I almost never use anything other than manual mode . . . the MT fanboy in me will not give up control of shift points.

I believe you own a MT, so I see no reason for you to ever be in 3rd or 4th gears and going 40-50 mph . . . unless you are just 'Sunday cruising' around town. Under such circumstance, I cannot imagine the need to apply aggressive throttle.

If you do find such need and do not want the lug/lag, then downshift to 2nd gear before aggressive throttle application.

///AVM

EDIT: Not to convolute things, but this topic pertains to just one reason why the Porsche PDK is so damn good. If you are ‘cruising’ in PDK automatic and Efficient modes at say 40-50 mph - as with BMW DCT - you will be in 6th or 7th gears.

To avoid lugging/turbo lag you have two options. (1) give a quick pump release of the throttle and the transmission will switch to the lowest gear possible, then you can apply aggressive throttle with no engine lug and minimal turbo lag. In essence, this maneuver equates to manually downshifting to get RPMs up before applying aggressive throttle. (2) apply WOT. PDK will similarly shift to the lowest gear possible followed by max throttle and, again, be associated with no engine lug and minimal turbo lag.

Both (1) and (2) above can occur very quickly BUT not INSTANTLY. In other words, there is a bit of a delay, but the delay is no longer than the time it takes to manually downshift. These maneuvers prevent lugging and minimize turbo lag . . . just as occurs with downshifting in MT or DCT manual mode.
Thanks for the detailed explanation and I dont normally apply power when I am cruising around in 3/4th at slow speeds, always downshift for enhanced acceleration. Yes i have a manual and just noticed it yesterday.