View Single Post
      05-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #20
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

I did call my insurance company and have gotten things set up to get this taken care of. My insurance redirected me to Safelight to manage the claim, but the representative said I could get the glass repaired at any place. They even went so far as to explain that they could not handle recalibration of the forward facing camera, so if I did have it repaired by Safelight, I would still need to go to BMW to have that taken care of. Given that I said I would just have the dealership do it and they forward the claim on to them.

I got a call from the collision center for my dealership and he outlined the cost for me. One thing that was interesting is that he explained that they would need to replace the rain sensor as part of the windshield replacement. I didn't quite expect that. So even though the glass itself is just over $400, the rain sensor adds $247. Add in ~$450 in labor and assorted materials and it bumps it up to the price range most people mentioned here. I have a $50 deductible on the insurance, though, so at the end of the day that shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately they also said they have to keep the car overnight to let the adhesive cure so I'll have to rent something for a day.

A little bit more involved than I expected. Two things that did surprise me a little are that he said the replacements don't have the same warranty as the vehicle, but that having the repair done by an certified repair center does bump the parts from 1 year to 2 years. So I guess I lose a half year on the rain sensor if anything happens to that. He also said the rain sensor not being properly calibrated affects the DSC since it's used to detect "wet" conditions. I had never thought about the rain sensor being linked into that.
Appreciate 0