Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
Don't have experience with P cars but curious to know whether you really need AWD in winter.
BMW with winter tires has never let me down.
Good question. Hills can still be a challenge but I don't have many on my usual journey's. Last Christmas there was TONS of unplowed snow on the road and for one of the very few times in my nine years of ownership of my 128i I was a bit nervous because any amount of throttle was pulling the car sideways into the snowbank so I was going extremely slow while Honda Civics were passing me at rapid speed. I'm guessing the pulling to the side is a result of the open differential + RWD? Would an LSD of some sort solve for this or is it really a FWD or AWD only solution? I do have newer Michelin Xi3 winter tires.

Other than deep snow the 6MT 128i is fantastically balanced and confidence inspiring even if at times a slower pace is necessary. Haven't touched the suspension (including alignment) in nine years and 123,000 miles and it feels confident to drive.

Reality is there aren't a lot of GOOD AWD sports cars out there and I have a rear Z4M so I was thinking of adding a unique AWD car to the stable. Can't NOT have an improvement of some kind in winter, right?
Appreciate 0