View Single Post
      11-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #44
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I think ppl make the brake stuff a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

1) Braking force/vehicle deceleration is dependent on tires. Every braking system can lock your tires at least once and therefore provide the max decel.

2) Repeated braking generates a lot of heat. If your braking system cannot shed heat as quickly as it builds up, you will eventually fade the braking system. Fade occurs from overheating the pads/discs/fluid beyond their operating point.

You need to think of the brakes heat management as a bucket with a hole in it. As you fill the bucket some of the water (heat) will escape via the hole. If the hole is not big enough then the bucket will eventually overflow (brake fade). You can eliminate fade by making the hole bigger (bigger more ventilated brakes) to match the incoming flow. If it is not matched then the bucket will still fill up and overflow (all be it slower), the size of your bucket determines when fade sets in.

In this respect the blue brakes are a smaller bucket with a smaller hole than the silver upgrade brakes. The difference is not world altering though.

3) You need to determine how much heat you are going to put into the brakes. Things like ambient temps, driver skill, tire selection, track, length of stints all affect the heat put into the brakes.

The blue brakes are enough at the ring on street tires because the ring does not have many heavy braking zones one after another. You brake hard and then have 30-60 sec to cool them down before the next hard braking zone.

The blue brakes will fade at a track like Zolder where you are going from 200kmh+ to 80-100 multiple times in a sub 2 min lap.

Pads and fluid and cooling will help maximize what your brake calipers and discs can stand. Brake lines dont do much, the stock brake lines are already quite good.

Personally I run APs in the front and blue brakes in the rear. This setup is perfect for the M2C and takes the abuse very well. The rear does not really need more braking as it only does 20-30% of the total braking anyways.

The APs also transform the brake pedal as they are much stiffer and that translates to a firmer linear pedal.

They also do not have external dustboots to burn like any of the OEM calipers.

Lastly pads last way longer and on a per lap basis are cheaper than pads for 2NH or blue brakes.

My 2 cents, use the cash coming your way to get some front APs and enjoy the reduced unsprung mass front and rear.
jdubm2c169.00
akkando5863.00
tux2005234.00