View Single Post
      10-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
thejoninator12
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Swapped out HK tweeters

Just thought I'd share an "experiment" that I wanted to try. The HK metal tweeters always seemed a bit harsh to me, especially at high volume. I also didn't like how you could see the silver tweeter through the mesh of the tweeter pod or "corner Molding" (as BMW calls it) too. So I wanted to try and eventually swap them out for a silk dome or something else. I know most stock speakers are very efficient so I thought a new silk dome speaker that isn't as efficient should tone down the harshness and the volume a bit. I had some Morel Tempo Ultra tweeters from my last car that I thankfully got out before selling it, but figured they'd be way too big and wouldn't fit. I looked up the Match component speakers that are a direct fit for the f87 on their website to see if they had a size diagram and they did. The installation diameter said 41mm. So I checked the size of the Morels that I have and they were about 42mm. I figured it was close enough to try so I did. To my surprise they actually fit. They're definitely snug but they fit. I checked polarity of the stock tweeters with a test "pop" track from the Audio Control Mobile Tools app and my polarity tester I got off amazon and both had positive polarity or they were "in phase". I cut the stock tweeter from the capacitor and just twisted the wires together to the new tweeter and tested polarity again to find out which wires were positive and negative. On my car the yellow was positive and the yellow with red stripe was negative. I soldered them in and I'm going to test them out hopefully this week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50