01-05-2021, 10:22 PM   #55
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
So, I've more or less got the wheels sorted and made my decision-- right up until I got an email from Richland Forged saying that they're considering a M2C-friendly rear offset.

I thought hard about it, but the Wife still likes the Apex's better (she says that the RF's and 763M's look like stick figures, and now that she's said it, I see her point on the 30-series tires.). The Apex's are a bit cheaper and I think I'm starting to like the slightly bulkier look of the extra Y-spoke.

Anyhow, the wheels/tires are on backorder until March, so now it's time to start considering/researching a suspension upgrade.

The goal is a very slight ride height drop (no more than a 1/2", depending on how the Apex's look on the 30-series MP4S's), and a little better low-speed "daily-driver" comfort, but with good high-speed handling. Since I intend to "set once" and never touch things again, the MPS is kind of where I'm leaning. I have no interest in endless suspension tweaking-- I won't track the car, and I have enough other toys (Honda Element, R1200GS & V-Rod Muscle) to play with that my wife would kill me if I started disassembling yet another vehicle on a weekly basis.

One other issue that I still don't quite understand is that with the Apex front wheel and the MPS, I'll need to run a 5mm spacer to clear the spring. I get that, but not how that would effect fender clearance-- you'd think I'd be solving one problem and creating another. Call me confused.

So far, I'm leaning towards this setup.....

- Apex 5mm front wheel spacers
- Apex wheel bolts (fronts only, +5mm)
- BMW M-Performance suspension
- HP Autosport adjustable end-links
- Milway "Street" monoballs (not sure about these for street use?)
- TITEtec wheel locks
- Vorshlag camber plates

That's probably overkill for a street setup, but I feel that if you're going to do it, do it right. Of course, nothing will happen until I drive the car on the new wheel/tire setup for a while to see how I like it, and I'll have to see if the wheel gap drives me nuts (I considered H.A.S or lowering springs, but... too many Bad Things can happen to the stock shocks.)

Comments and suggestions gladly accepted-- I'm just sort of spooling up on this. The last suspension I modified was my e46 M3 fifteen years ago, and that was more or less going to Ground Control with a credit card and saying "Here's what I want, tell me what I need". I'm trying to be a little smarter this time around.

R.

EDIT: I just found out that TC Kline makes a nice kit for the M2C-- single adjustable up front, double in the rear, and it includes camber plates. The front spring is also a different shape than the MPS one, so maybe I could get away without the 5mm spacers?

Any comparison between the MPS and the TC Kline?

R.
TC Kline is reportedly the best tried and tested setup for track and has options in spring settings. I believe the development of the suspension was developed on a M2 by the owner himself. It's also affordable in the midrange category of coilovers and includes nice camber plates. Although I do believe it's used mostly by track oriented owners.

From what I've researched as well since I have the EC7 wheels awaiting some tires and installation, when lowered the 5mm spacer aides in clearing the inside front conical shaped spring on coils due to that wider 265 tire. With the spacer, tire being more outboard would not present rubbing issues under normal driving conditions. However rubbing can happen on the outside fender under hard compression even with stock suspension. The key is dialing in negative camber to avoid that.

Personally I'm leaning towards the 255/275 35 series tires with the largest section width while maintaining a slightly stock looking stretched appearance. Another thing to consider are the road surfaces you drive on in relationship to tire aspect ratio. I'm weary of driving 30 series tires as the ride quality will suffer, will bring more cabin noise depending on the tire, increase risk of pinched flats, and possibly tram line more on highway speeds. I'm sure tire choice may impact these concerns as well.

I'm also going to be on coilovers and have Vorschlag camber plates in hand waiting for install. Please report back where you land up on your selection of tires and such. It will be good to hear your experience with your selections. I'm in no rush to move away from stock setup at the moment as I want to drive the car at 1-2 HPDE events in stock form to judge for myself where I need what I need.