07-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #114
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

[QUOTE=tetsuo111;20335945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post

Porsche seems to have evolved with the times, rising to the challenge of a changing market, technology, and regulatory climate. Porsche still engineers some of the most respected sports cars on the planet. BMW? Sort of luxury, sort of faux sporty, sort of... what?
Porsche builds and markets fine cars. So does BMW. Porsche has chosen to be a niche, high-end, high-performance player with price points to match. BMW has chosen to become a high volume player of nice cars for a different market.

These two companies simply evolved in a different direction. If you are going to blame BMW for not being the company they used to be, you should complain that they are building cars at all. After all, they build airplane engines and motorcycles.

Porsche gets it's kilo of flesh from the high volume market through its ownership position in VW Group. Porsche has chosen to keep the brand focused on sports vehicles. BMW does not have several brands under its umbrella through which to sell lower price point, lower performance, higher volume vehicles.

If BMW wanted to create an ultra performance brand with Porsche price points, I'm guessing they could do it and their cars would sell. They've chosen not to do that. They just sell boatloads (literally) of really nice cars that do really well in the market in which they have chosen to play.

Those who don't like the current BMW products have a lot of choices. They can keep their older previous gen cars until the wheels fall off or they can go buy something else. Don't wait for BMW to come to its senses. They know exactly what they are doing.
Appreciate 1
gthal1904.00