12-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Hmm. I'm not sure I get what you are saying.

In a manual you dip the clutch to select neutral only as you simultaneously pull to a stop in order that you can then release the clutch pedal while stopped on the brake.

Dipping the clutch whilst in gear is not neutral.

In a manual dipping the clutch and coasting whilst in gear is a bad technique and will fail your driving test in the UK for loss of control of vehicle.

In anycase in a DCT you just pull to a stop in gear and the clutches disengage for you as required to allow you to stop in gear. You can knock the gear selector into neutral if you like and use the handbrake if it's a long wait. Otherwise just stop on the footbrake in D.

A torque convertor auto will just drag the torque convertor, all normal.

Am I missing something?
Doughboy

I apologize for not being clearer.

I agree with everything you stated. With a manual transmission, as you slow to a stop the clutch is applied, shift into neutral, and release clutch while braking.

I indicated ‘effectively’ putting the car in neutral trying to relate to the ‘manual’ PDK mode – again, poor job on my part trying to explain.

In attempt to be clearer, what I found frustrating about the ‘manual’ PDK mode is the lack of a clutch when coming to a stop; inability to disengage gears or actually get into neutral. Until I was informed that simultaneously hitting both paddles places the transmission in neutral, I felt lost trying to decide when to shift from 2nd -> 1st gear, using either paddles or shifter itself. In fact, as far as I am concerned 1st gear is only for taking off from a stop, so trying to find 1st gear while coming to a stop did not compute and represented a source of frustration.

I hope that this post clears up any confusion my prior post might have caused.

///AVM
Appreciate 0