10-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
You could take the battery out and put it on a tender outside of the car, but that will then piss off all of the systems in the car since they lose power. They should mostly (if not fully?) figure that out when you hook it back up to the car though.

The concern about attaching the tender directly to the battery is only a concern if the battery is still in the car. You don't want to do that because it can damage the car's charge monitoring stuff (in theory, although I don't know if anyone's actually done that).
Edit- I didn't read the previous post correctly.

Correct, but you don't necessarily need to remove it, of you do make sure you're using a battery tender that can monitor voltage vs. a standard battery charger. This approach is not ideal as it'll charge the battery more than the IBS would.

Correct, damage only occurs if you attach a charger directly the the battery itself if it's in the car. This is because it bypasses the IBS and can over charge the battery. Also if you're not using a voltage stable battery tender the pulses in the current delivery can damage the IBS itself.