05-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
You hated the steering on the 981. I totally remember...

Maybe because it was your first electronically assisted steering experience? And you still had the hydraulic system in the 1M?

I came from the 235, so the 981 steering was brilliant by comparison.

No it was not HPS vs EPS, but the way the steering responded to my input.

1Cayman 981 GTS; very slow initial steering input response, when further turning the weel it becomes more reactive at less steering input.
I like it the other way around; fast initial steering input, it makes any car more go-kart feeling, on high speed it can feel a little nervous but both the 1M and M2 don`t behave nervous IMHO, I prefer the Bimmer kind of steering, verry fast initial steering input and response, just magnificent.

2The GTS had a really strange feel of steering resistance to it, I always had the feeling I had to fight it, using to much force (Whitch will give you less steering feel) to steer the car, especially on high speed turns, the steering always wanted to go back to the middle stand, far too much self centering force. (some people later on explained to me that the higher caster could be responsible to that steering feeling.)

Anyway; I could not become friends on how the CGTS steered, not a go-kart feeling, to much force needed, It really ruined the overall joy and driving pleasure of this car for me. A sports car is about steering, yes the CGTS has the looks, the brilliant free revving 3.4L F6, the outstanding PDK and PCCB`s, I had them all and I loved them every inch, but the painful way of steering could not save me from selling the car, and that's what I did.

IMHO the steering is by far the weekst point of the 981 series, the GT4 excluded, that car has way better steering.
Appreciate 0