BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
BMW wants 0W-30 in the car, so I'm sticking w/the factory recommendation - I'm just changing it more frequently. If it needed a thicker oil they would have specified it for different conditions (hot weather, track) Every current turbo M engine uses this oil viscosity and they all carry a 50k mile warranty, so that's enough reason for me.
You do you. Just don't spread misinformation. No where in the manual does it state 0w-30 is the ONLY viscosity approved or is what they want. What BMW wants for this engine and their other current turbo engines is a LL01 oil.

In the manual it doesn't mention any specific viscosities at all. It only states BMW Long Life 01 FE or BMW Long Life 01 approved oils should be use. You keep bringing up the 50k mile warranty which makes me believe you're not going to keep it past the 50k for very long. Others might and would want to protect their engines for the long haul in the event they use it in "severe conditions". I along with many others as shown in this thread and other oil threads switch to a 40 weight oil especially if tracking the vehicle due to the higher protection that 40 weight will provide in those "severe conditions" aka higher engine temps. I live in So Cal, all the tracks here are in the desert. I'm going to protect my engine with a 40 weight oil. My last free oil change the dealer put in 5w-30, going to switch that out before my next track day.
I think you're being inaccurate about misinformation. The sticker under the hood of my vehicle reads 0W-30. This is due to the car being sold in different markets and may support different fuel formulations. The LL01 is the required adequate standard for a long life, extended drain oil. That is the reason it does not say in the manual like it used to.

If you want to use heavier oil, that's your opinion. You're addressing a problem that doesn't exist and it's opinion-driven.
Did you read the link I posted? Has some useful info... I'm just trying to figure this out for myself rather than believing everything a manual says or what a sucker under the hood says... the reason for this is that's there has been a recent change and there is good evidence it has to do with emission standards and car companies saving money... in all honestly, it will probably not make much of a difference in the short term but if you're planning on having a good running engine well beyond the warranty period then it's critical to use what's best for the engine. I'm open to evidence from either camp so if anyone has evidence of thinner or thicker please share and let's figure this out together!
Appreciate 2
gsrbri559.50
rich8566608.50