04-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #43
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
Drivetrain clunk during unload/load scenarios are 100% normal for a car with solid mounts. I understand that a lot of people are unable to accept that an expensive car does this, but you literally bought the most stripped down modern BMW with solid mounts and all the accoutrements of a purpose-built track car with a little polish and comfort. Not to be heavy-handed here, but you made the wrong choice of car. The brochure told you all of these things. Noise, handling and vibration ALWAYS goes up when you make the choice for performance over luxury. Comparing this to exotics is apples to vegetables (not even oranges). The materials and entire drivetrain layout are immensely different. Most exotics don't have solid mounts, they just have better engineered (more expensive) mounts that provide the best of both worlds. My 2018 LCI 6MT does this. My s2000 did this when it had solid mounts. My 1993 RX7 with solid mounts and dog cut gears did this. My 2013 FR-S did this. There's always concessions made when you purchase a car that's more at home on the track than the street, and this is no exception. Sorry that your M-car, which is probably the truest testament to that name in a decade, behaved like an M-car.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to to say the dreaded dealer response, "It's a sports car, it's supposed to do that," when it actually is the right response.
The problem is knowing what's a normal noise from an abnormal noise for those of us who haven't driven track-purposed cars all their lives. I'd argue actually that the M3/4 aren't really track purposed sports cars. More like track capable daily drivers.
Appreciate 0